Green Program Criteria: An Overview
In the 1990's, when chemical manufacturers marketed green products, there were no standards. Today, few chemical manufacturers and their distributors along with different organizations that represent the jansan industry are offering comprehensive building management programs that show their commitment to the 'green' market. Green cleaning has grown from being product-oriented into a thought process that considers all of the products used in the cleaning industry.
Before a 'green' program is considered for certification, FLC must determine whether the program introduces complete and comprehensive building management methodologies. The program has to meet the following criteria.
Green Program Criteria:
- Program's products, methods and tools must be designed with the health of the building occupants and the environment in mind
- Program must eliminate or reduce the use of environmentally harmful cleaning products and give preference to Environmentally Preferable Products that meet standards established by EcoLogo or Green Seal
- Program uses chemical concentrates and controlled dilution systems
- Program needs to include training and testing materials to prepare the distributor and the end-user for certification in the program
- Program must use a floor finish that is free of metals and should give preference to finishes certified by EcoLogo or Green Seal.
- Program must include training on moisture management and the importance of eliminating standing water
- Program must promote a low maintenance floor care program that minimizes VOC's and stripping cycles
- Program must improve air quality and reduce allergens and asthma triggers
- Program must conserve energy and water use
- Program must not contain the use of aerosols
- Program must promote the use of high efficiency vacuums
- Program must endorse the use of a proper entrance matting system
- Program must promote a recycling program
- Program must promote sustainability
- Program must be supported by an accredited Professional or facilitator who is well versed with the program
Green Cleaning is transforming the way we think. The guiding principles behind the Green program criteria are to ensure a safe and healthier indoor environment for its occupants. It's simplified maintenance requirements can lead to financial efficiencies for property owners and managers.